Philip Morris USA is guided by Altria Group's Mission
and Altria's Code of Conduct
. We're committed to marketing our products responsibly
by building relationships between adult smokers and our brands while taking steps
designed to limit reach to unintended audiences.
We market brands such as Marlboro, L&M, Parliament and Virginia Slims in the
United States. We compete to grow our share of the market. This means we want adult smokers to remain loyal to our brands. And we want adult smokers who smoke other brands to switch to ours.
We work hard to market our products to adult smokers and to limit the reach
of our materials to unintended audiences. We verify that smokers are 21 or older before they receive branded one-to-one communications,
enter one of our brand websites or attend consumer engagement programs.
- One-to-one Communications - We use direct mail and email to support the launch
of products, invite adult smokers to consumer engagement programs, announce brand promotions and deliver
coupons and other communications. We maintain a secure database of age-verified
adult smokers who have elected to hear from us. A person may request to no longer receive communications from us at any time.
- Consumer Websites - Our age-restricted brand websites enable adult smokers
to interact with our brands. We use these sites to build brand equity, deliver news
and provide promotional support.
- Consumer Marketing Activities - We offer consumer engagement programs, such
as trips to the Crazy Mountain Ranch in Montana, to reinforce brand equity.
We offer trade programs to retailers and wholesalers that help them responsibly
manage the cigarette category. Our retail trade program is built on effective category
management principles, including:
- merchandising our products in an organized way;
- having our brands in-stock and available;
- having our most popular brands in preferred positions;
- clearly communicating price and promotional offers; and
- deterring access by underage purchasers.
The program also includes features to help prevent underage access to tobacco products
that are not required by federal law, including:
- training store personnel who sell tobacco products using We Card® or equivalent
- displaying We Card or equivalent signage;
- using an age verification tool;
- placing retail signage that tells adults not to buy tobacco products for kids; and
- adhering to the Master Settlement Agreement.
We offer additional financial incentives to retailers who refrain from placing any
cigarettes, cigarette signs or brand imagery associated with cigarettes on top of
or below the front of the selling counter. We also limit the location, size and
amount of PM USA interior and exterior signs at retail.