What We Believe
Altria's Vision sets the direction for all our legislative efforts. For us, Moving Beyond Smoking means advocating for a harm reduction future where the entire industry is operating within science-based federal regulation, where underage tobacco use continues to decline, and where adult smokers who don't quit are transitioning to FDA-authorized less harmful products.
Transformational changes in recent years have made this future more possible than ever. Today we see -
- Generational lows in underage use of all traditional tobacco products.
- A national minimum age of 21 driving underage use down further for all product categories.
- Scientists agreeing that while nicotine is addictive, it’s smoke that causes most tobacco-related harm.
- Manufacturers innovating new, smoke-free products for the adult smokers' transition.
- The FDA regulating the industry and authorizing reduced harm products based on science.
Our goal in our engagement with government and policy stakeholders is to advance this Vision by supporting policies necessary for harm reduction to succeed.